Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Thing 20: You Tube

Several of the videos were instructive. I wish there had been one for using an academic library when I was in school. I'd always used the public library. UT had some good ones, though the pace was a little slow. They included one on their widgets. Putting our story times on You Tube is a nice idea. People can check out our Booker's Ally story times in our system, but we might have more interest in them on You Tube. I liked the tour of the Azle Memorial Library. It's a nice way to show it off. There were many videos that were rather predictible. There were pictures of books, smiling staff, computers - the usual. Nothing exciting there. Gaming in libraries and the special events weren't bad overall. There were some cute specialty ones, such as the Library Ninja silencing the cell phone user. I guess that one is therapeutic for me. I did enjoy some of the Book Cart Drill Teams. I noticed that the University of Phoenix (Two Friends Earn Education Degrees) managed to be on every page when I searched Academic Library. And Paula Grace Designs had links in several places.
I understand that You Tube might be useful for the library, but if the product displayed is mediocre it won't do us much good. I'm not sure how we could make the library look fun and exiting. Stop action animation, collages, kaleidoscope effects - none of that really works. We aren't really exciting; we are useful. And that's hard to market.

No comments:

Post a Comment