Saturday, June 20, 2009

23 Things Meltdown

OK, I'm stuck on the Instant Messaging Thing. My computer doesn't have what I need to watch videos about it, I don't know what an Avatar is, and I question what I'm really doing here. I have not seen a quiz on Fb about "What Am I?". If I did, I'm sure the answer would be one of three: a Dinosaur, an Anachronism, or Stupid. I understand I need to learn new technology to do my job. I can cope with that to a point. What I don't understand is the Big Picture. Why do all of these Things exist? Why do I need as many "friends" as I can get on My Space, Facebook, etc. when most of them won't even truly rate as Aquaintances? When I am home, I choose whether or not to answer my phone and the doorbell. I prefer to spend some time during the day by myself, not hooked into a computer sending useless messages, invitations, etc. to people. If I want to talk to someone, I prefer face-to-face, but have been known to call on the telephone. I will leave a message if no one answers. I've also been known to email and to write and honest-to-God letter once in a while. I prefer to read books to surfing the Internet. I prefer to concentrate on my driving instead of multi-tasking by talking on my cell phone or text messaging. I do not see the reason for Instant Messaging. I was taught that Patience is a Virtue and that All Good Things Come to Those Who Wait. A quick response time is for emergencies. All else should be done properly in whatever amount of time the task takes. Competition used to be associated with sorting events. I prefer an hour for lunch as opposed to twenty minutes. I prefer to enjoy a meal, not just fill the hole created by (perceived or otherwise) hunger. I don't know why my profession should be turned into a Drive Thru of Information. I am taking a break from all of this for a few days to reevaluate what I'm to get from all of these Things, which I'm starting to believe are merely toys of our society. This is my Meltdown.

1 comment:

  1. You are so wise to write about it. I feel a little bit like you and more convinced, as I review more Things, that it will be literally impossible for me to keep up with anu of the Things. I can barely keep up with my e-mail account!

    ReplyDelete