Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Thing 8: Facebook

I already have a private Facebook account. I ran into problems when I tried to make another account. I didn't want to use a false name since I wanted to invite business associates to become friends, and it wouldn't let me use "nrslibrarian" as a name. I tried emailing Facebook, but the results were not what I wanted. One of the big problems I have on my personal account is that I cannot delete individual messages from my wall. I can hide the friends that post any and every thing that tickles their whimsey, but that is all I can do. Facebook Help is useless for this. I am on the verge of closing my account after sending private messages to those I want to stay in touch with. It's unfortunate because it's so easy to see what is happening, including photos, in their lives. I will use email in the near future for this purpose. I'm assuming they all have email accounts. I do appreciate how easy it is to find people on Facebook, but overall I am not impressed with it. As a business tool, such as inviting patrons to be friends of the Library's Facebook, it would take way too much time to control what is posted. As for business associates, email serves me much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment