Saturday, June 20, 2009

Thing 10: Ning

I searched Ning for library, wildlfe rescue, and paranormal groups. It was fairly easy to do. There were several I could view without joining, which was nice. Some were better managed than others, which I expected. I don't know that I will keep up with any of the groups I viewed. Time is always a factor. Ning seems to be more serious than Facebook. It's more like Blogspot in that the postings are less frivolous. We had a Ning account a few years back for some of the branches but nobody had much to say, possibly because Admin was invited to join. We were Mirandized in that Admin said our postings would not be used against us. I truly believe Admin hoped for honest discussions concerning our system, but I think some of the issues people wanted to discuss were particular to certain locations rather than system-wide. It fizzled out and no one felt inclined to do anything about it. Ning does appear to be a good system for this sort of thing. We employees tend to communicate without using a networking system. I'm not convinced that Ning is the way to communicate with Library users. It is getting harder to evaluate as I experience more of the 23 Things.

No comments:

Post a Comment