Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Thing 9: More Facebook

I posted a link to the Fort Worth Library Mayor Mike's Summer Reading Challenge so friends could register. I joined three groups: Ballet Folklorico, Historical Novel Society, and Artes de la Rosa/rose Marine Theater. I don't know if thiese are what you are looking for isnce the link to the Groups application doesn't want to work for me. I have made contact with several family members through Fb, which is nice. It was relatively easy to find them. An old friend found me on Fb, which is also nice. What isn't so nice is that a particular telephone company that was trying to sell its services went through my address book and used the names to send me invitations to take an IQ quiz. I took it in a weak moment in an attempt to stop the harrassment. Instead of posting the result at the end of the quiz, I posted a message telling everyone my score and asking them to stop sending it to me. I had several replies that the no one had sent it to me even though their names were used (along with an IQ score). I obviously have a room temperature IQ for falling for that. I am still bothered by it. I didn't think my address book was to be used in that manner. I'm still unsure as tho the application of Fb as a business tool. The potential is there but, after the phone company incident, I don't have much confidence in it. It would look very bad if some unscrupulous company started pushing their services in the name of the Library. I don't know if there is a way to block this.

No comments:

Post a Comment